Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday

For most veterinarians, Saturday is a half-day of work. I paid my dues as an associate because my first mentor/boss is Jewish and Saturday is his Sabbath. So three out of four Saturdays for the first 5 years I practiced were spent in the hospital. I resolved that when I owned my own practice I would do things differently. And so I have.

South Point Pet hospital is only open the first Saturday of the month. I hire a relief veterinarian to work those four hours as a courtesy to my clients who can't make appointments during the week. It's not ideal, but it's a lifestyle choice that I really value.

Take today for example. Huston woke up about 7 a.m. when I would otherwise be preparing to head to the shower. Instead, we played in bed for 15 minutes. Then we got up and watched Playhouse Disney. I made breakfast: grits, eggs (over lightly), and toast. Of course, he earned potty candy because he peed in the potty like a big boy. Then we got dressed and headed to the Charlotte Buckeyes gamewatch at Strike City. While the boys played bumper bowling, Judy & I watched the Buckeyes beat MICH**** for the 6th year in a row. All of this happened when I might otherwise have been working in the hospital. While I prefer to be there when my clients need me, it means so much to be able to spend this quality time with my wife & boys.

When we got home, everyone except for Tommy got a nap. Then we spent the evening enjoying good food, good wine, and good times with friends who have kids the same age as T & H. It's such a pleasure to have adult time while our kids play together peacefully. No injuries or hurt feelings.

Now the house is quiet and I feel like I've made the most of my Saturday. I feel recharged and energized and there's still another day left in the weekend. Tomorrow will be a day of chores and rest. We're heading to Florida on Wednesday for Thanksgiving. So we have about 72 hours of prep time before the marathon drive. I'm looking forward to seeing my 89-year-old grandfather. Every holiday, every year is a blessing.

Time to read a little mindless fiction and head to bed. So far, I'm 4 for 4 in blogging since re-committing. A little pat on the back. Good night!

No comments: