Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A new commitment

So I have been inspired by my son Tommy, and a story I heard on NPR, to resume blogging. I hope to write at least a little something every day for the next 3 weeks. By then, it might become such a habit that it's second nature. At least that's what I hope.

I went to Tommy's school, Page Elementary, yesterday to have lunch with him. Tommy had asked me to come to his classroom to get him, but the school secretary insisted that I wait in the office. When Tommy's class came walking up the hall, I could tell by the look on his face that he was upset. It dawned on me that he thought I forgot about our lunch date. He thought I wasn't coming and he was going to have to eat with his class as usual. Suddenly, he noticed me and came running over. Instead of laughing and acting like a nutball (like he does when I come home from work), he just hugged me and got a little tearful. At that moment I realized just how special our relationship is and how much it means to him when I spend time with him.

The story on NPR was about an author who recommended to aspiring writers that they write something every day. This author believed that the written word is the most powerful contribution humans can make to history. Photos and verbal history are powerful too, but these media are far more likely to be misinterpreted or lost. When someone writes down their thoughts, they are preserved in their original form. It's a window into that person's soul that is far less likely to fade.

For my kids and my loved ones I'll write a little every day. I hardly think it will be profound literature or even worthy of print publication, but it's definitely my thoughts (for better or worse). Hopefully this will help Judy, Tommy, and Huston know just how much I love them.

I definitely need to say, "I love you" more often, be more patient, and spend more time with my loved ones. Tommy's reaction at lunch is the clearest message to me that my greatest gift is my time. In the words of John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

No comments: